Friday, February 2, 2007

I like Winter sometimes

It finally got cold and snowy in my area, and the last few days shifted to that dry harsh cold of deep winter. I really kinda like it when it gets like this, there's something about it that really fits in well with the bladesmithing thing. The forge seems to run a little better, the air seems cleaner too. And it's quiet in the evenings, moreso than other times of the year. It's just nice to run the forge when it's cold, getting some hammering done can chase the chills and aches away.

It's the time of year my interest in history and it's place in my craft seem to be at the strongest also. Maybe it's simply because the long days of summer bring so much distraction. I always get lots of interesting ideas for projects in the winter that revolve more around the swordwork than at other times of the year. I noticed I get excited about knives in the fall, perhaps the whole hunting-season influence has something to do with that. I'll have to pay attention this spring and summer and see if I do the same at those times of the year.

This craft has quite a few different areas that seem cyclical to me.

1 comment:

Brent Kistner said...

hey randal i figured i'd add my two cents here and tell you that i dig the new blog idea and im looking forward to some items in the available section.

while im at it here, i dont remember if i had sent an email your way regarding some chisels... i was wondering if that is anything you'd be interested in making, or if it is something you have made before.

in any case keep up the great work, your stuff is always inspiring.

Brent