Saturday, January 27, 2007

TV Sucks

I only have peasant-vision, like 5 channels altogether, not a decent cartoon on any of them this morning. I miss Bugs.

I got some handles roughed-out and on some knife blades yesterday, I think they're going to be pretty nice when they're done. More of the scandi-style stuff, which I love, they're so simple and sensible, and usable. Three of them are going to have wootz blades, which is fun... don't see that everyday on a traditional scandi.

The scandinavian/nordic style of knives appeal to me on a deep level, as I mentioned before, from a use standpoint, they have it all. But more than that, they have such a long tradition behind them as well, at least 1000 years in thier present form, and if you count development as a whole, maybe 1500 could be argued convincingly. So it appeals to the historical attraction the craft has for me. They rival any culture's development of edged tools, and surpass many, even the much over-touted Japanese. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Japanese tools and weapons, but talk about hype... sheesh.... steel is steel man.

So I don't know what I'm going to do today yet, but I'm thinking it's time to take a few hours and do something about my miserable excuse of photography, which has turned out to be easily the hardest part of this whole gig for me. I really need to build a proper light box, once and for all, so I can get proper pictures of my stuff. I've depended on sunny days for pictures, and that works ok, but in reality, that's pretty amateurish at best, and certainly not doing myself or the work justice. The swords are always the kicker and present the same kind of space and handling issues here as they do in every other case. Damn things are just so long. So, I think I'll start with a smaller box to get the knife situation under control first, and once that appears to be sorted out, then I'll look at making something bigger for the long blades.
Wow, I'm so proud of myself, for once I'll do something in the right order...

I'm still kinda sore, but not like yesterday, so I should get back on swords this afternoon. That will depend somewhat on how much I manage to over-engineer a simple light box. I'm going to try not to do that. Yeah, right.

No comments: