Friday, January 26, 2007

One at a time is better

I need a break from the big stuff, it's tiring.
Been working on a group of swords and it's going well, not much left to do, but I'm worn out. Lots of filing, scraping, polishing, my hands are sore. I like doing it, but the big blades really add a factor to the project that can add up when you're working on three at once.

I think today will be a knife day. I have some blades that need handles, and although I enjoy the swordwork, it's easier to get a sense of "fun" with the knives. They come together quicker and you see the results of the effort faster. Craftsman's version of instant gratification.

I've been slogging through some back-orders and it's really nice to be close to the end. I've got a few more over-lap projects, but in a month or so, I'll be able to go back to one sword at a time, and I'm really looking forward to that. I'm not unhappy with my work, when I do groups, it's more of an enjoyment issue I think.

I used to do that actually, I miss that. Have a major sword-project going, but some knives on the bench too so when it was time for a break, I was still getting stuff done, just different stuff. Work some different muscles, some different brain cells.
It was a better balance for me.

And the knives are important for another reason; they get used more. Some of the swords do, with martial artists and the like. But a lot of my knives go hunting, work in the kitchen, and exist in a working shop where another craftsman really uses them regularly. It's very cool to create a sword and someone considers it a "beautiful thing", and really appreciates the work and effort. But it's also a thrill when someone sees a knife from the standpoint of "useful thing", when they tell me it stays sharp and cuts really good, or how the handle is really comfortable, and that they really enjoy using it, that's truly a compliment, that can really make my day.

Balance is good. Good day to be a knifemaker.

No comments: